Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.
|Barbara in VA||
Made a DELICIOUS Pear Cake from Delicious magazine. REC:
Joined: Dec 15, 2005
Posted to Thread #22671 at 12:55 pm on Aug 16, 2012
Really, really good one bowl cake:
Pear and Stem Ginger Muffin Cake
100G semi salted butter, melted
(1/2t salt--I added this because my butter was unsalted)
100 g self raising flour
2 t baking powder
2 t ground ginger
100g caster sugar
100 g ground almonds
4 large, ripe by firm pears (300g prepared weight)
3 large eggs, beaten
75g stem ginger, drained and chopped*
15g flaked almonds
Preheat oven to 180°C (I did 325°F).
Grease and base line a 23cm x 5 cm loose bottomed cake tin. (I used a 9x3 cake pan lined with parchment.
Sift together the flour, baking powder and ground ginger into a large bowl. Stir in sugar and ground almonds, then make a well int he center.
Peel (I leave the peels on), quarter and core the pears. Cut them into roughly 1cm pieces, then put in the well. Add the melted butter, eggs and stem ginger (*I used crystallized ginger because I didn't have time to track down stem ginger), gently stir everything together until well combined.
Pour into prepared cake tin, then scatter over the flaked almonds. Bake for 35-45 minutes until firm to the touch and golden brown-a skewer inserted into the center should come out clean.
Remove the cake from the oven and sprinkle a little more caster sugar (I used confectioners sugar after I removed from the pan), cool 5 minutes in pan. Carefully remove from pan and slice into wedges.
Delicious offered up a Spiked Creme Anglaise which I am sure would be wonderful. But since I would probably inhale it totally, I opted out of making it. I brought the cake to work and it was gone in a flash, I don't think anyone missed the creme anglaise!!
Other messages in this thread:
- 22671. Made a DELICIOUS Pear Cake from Delicious magazine. REC: - Barbara in VA - 12:55pm on 08/16/12 (7)
- Barb, what kind of pears did you use? How soft were they? [NT] - MarilynFL - 2:12pm on 08/16/12
- Marilyn the pears that are "in" right now are Devoe pears, rather large and green with - Barbara in VA - 4:16pm on 08/16/12
- FYI, 180 degrees C is 356 degrees F. How did it bake out? [NT] - Steve2 in LA - 8:05pm on 08/16/12
- Steve, whatever converter I used told me it was 322°F! So that's why I went with 325°F. I did - Barbara in VA - 1:10pm on 08/17/12