Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.
Holy enchilada. Dawn in MO "creamy enchiladas" super-charged with butternut & kale. Whoa.
Joined: Dec 12, 2005
Posted to Thread #23690 at 4:23 pm on Jan 21, 2013
Seriously. I think these may be the best ones ever.
Two weeks ago I tried Pioneer Woman's Butternut Squash and Kale Quesadillas. They were very good.
Then a friend gave me a package of Costco's "fresh flour tortillas" in which you have to bake each one first (I did 30 seconds each side in a cast iron pan) before using it. They have no preservatives and can't be frozen unbaked. I made two for dinner and found them SO much better than packaged ones. Yet, what to do with 16 remaining tortillas?
Dawn in MO's Creamy Chicken Enchiladas on Steroids
1 5-lb fryer, cut into pieces and poached in water & chicken broth for 30 minutes, then shredded.
1/2 large butternut squash, peeled down to the orange, cut in 1/2" dice and sauteed until soft
3 jarred roasted red peppers, rinsed, diced in 1/2" pieces, sauteed
2 onions, diced, sauteed until soft
1/2 head of kale, cut into bite-size pieces, sauteed
8 oz cream cheese
20 oz cheese: blend of cheddar, pepper jack and monterey jack.
16 fresh flour 8" tortillas
The following was lightly added to the chicken mixture
cumin, coriander, Norwoods seasoning.
1/2 -1 C chicken broth
1 soup-size can of green enchilada sauce
1 soup-size can of whole green chilies, rinsed & diced to 1/2"
1/2 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp coriander
1/4 tsp garlic powder
I made 4 pans of 4 enchilada each, using 1/2 C of chicken mixture and 1/4 C of cheese inside each tortilla. We ate one batch over two meals and the other 3 pans are in the freezer.
Thanks Dawn. Her original recipe is already in the T&T, where it rightly belongs.
Jesus saves. Buddha recycles.
Other messages in this thread:
- 23690. Holy enchilada. Dawn in MO "creamy enchiladas" super-charged with butternut & kale. Whoa. - MarilynFL - 4:23pm on 01/21/13 (6)
- PW's Butternut & Kale Quesadilla [NT] [LINK] - MarilynFL - 4:26pm on 01/21/13
- Dawm/MO's Creamy Chicken Enchiladas [NT] [LINK] - MarilynFL - 4:27pm on 01/21/13
- Marilyn, the PW Quesadillas sound so delicious! I also have visions of adding - Barbara in VA - 5:34pm on 01/23/13
- They are, Barb. I added sauteed onion to the quesadilla and black beans would be - MarilynFL - 6:22pm on 01/25/13
- Dawn's recipe is a favorite in our house -served on Christmas Eve and... - Michael in Phoenix - 5:13pm on 01/21/13
- You know, Michael, I walked into the grocery store planning to buy rotisserie chickens. - MarilynFL - 12:41pm on 01/22/13