Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.
You know who you are. Burnt fingertips from salvaging scraps of
Joined: Dec 12, 2005
Posted to Thread #5169 at 12:32 am on Jan 3, 2007
melted grilled cheese. Eating only the toasted crusts from Asiago bagels. Peeling golden shreds of parmesan and mozzarella off the pizza box.
You know no shame when it comes to cheese.
Well, crawl out from under the beds, Cheese Freaks, because this technique is for you.
You’ll need either a pizzelle or a Krumkake iron. Same story, different verse, but a critical step to your success. Beg, borrow or buy one on ebay.
Cut the cold dough (recipe follows) into 1/8" thick slices (no more/no less) and bake them into thin, crisp wafers of pure unadulterated bliss. I was so enraptured with these that I renamed them “Holy Communion Wafers According to the Church of Wallace and Grommet.”
The original recipe is linked and it’s good, but I prefer them this way.
2 sticks (1 cup, 8 oz) unsalted butter
1 pound (16 oz) extra-sharp Cheddar (I used Dublin cheddar and H&D cheddar)
2 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 to 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper ( I used a mix of cayenne and Thai spice mix)
Large roll of paper towels
Coarsely grate Cheddar and cold butter in food processor. Add flour and cayenne and lightly pulse until a dough is formed.
Divide dough into 4 pieces. On a sheet of wax paper roll each piece of dough into a 2-inch diameter log and wrap logs tightly in wax paper and foil. Chill logs at least 8 hours and up to 1 week. Dough keeps, frozen, 2 months.
Preheat electric iron for at least 5 minutes. Working with 1 log at a time, cut log crosswise into 1/8-inch thick slices with a sharp knife and bake for 20-30 seconds or until lightly golden. Carefully lift out with a fork and place on cooling rack. Press flat any that puff up.
Warning: Lots of grease will ooze out, so you’ll need to wipe down the plates after each cookie is baked. Make twice as much as you’ll need because you won't be able to stop munching on them.
Wafers keep in a tin or airtight container at room temperature 4 days.
I haven’t found the perfect spread for these yet, but you might consider pureeing a 30-day supply of Lipitor with some Worchestershire sauce.
Bonus perk: Count each time you genuflect as an aerobic workout.
Jesus saves. Buddha recycles.
Other messages in this thread:
- 5169. You know who you are. Burnt fingertips from salvaging scraps of [LINK] - MarilynFL - 12:32am on 01/03/07 (45)
- Oh my word...... - judy-mass - 12:56am on 01/03/07
- Peeking out of the cheese cave---I wonder if my JC Penney gift card will buy an iron for these. [NT] - AngAk - 3:34am on 01/03/07
- Speaking of cheese caves, I hated going to the Wisconsin cheese shops as a kid, pee ewe, but sadly - AngAk - 3:36am on 01/03/07
- Love the spread suggestion, Mar! [NT] - CynUpstateNY - 4:01am on 01/03/07
- I’m one of those people. These qualify for the high standard of what we Philadelphians know as… - Sandy_in_Philly - 1:49pm on 01/03/07
- and, Sandy, I found out with my first visit to Pat's that the Cheeze Wiz provides the most drip [NT] - charlie - 2:47pm on 01/03/07
- Confessions of a cheeseoholic - CathyZ from Kauai - 7:54pm on 01/03/07
- LOL Cathy! I guess I should be joining your line, not the Pat's line. - AngAk - 8:49pm on 01/03/07
- Happy Birthday to you, Happy Birthday to you, Happy Birthday dear Ang, Happy Birthday to you!!!! - Nan - 9:45pm on 01/03/07
- On my way home to sit by the fire and open a nice bottle of something till DH gets home. [NT] - AngAk - 11:21pm on 01/03/07
- Your birthday? Happy Birthday, Angie!!!! [NT] - CathyZ from Kauai - 3:02am on 01/04/07
- Fabuloso...hope your birthday was everything you wanted it to be, and more. [NT] - Pat-NoCal - 3:33am on 01/04/07
- I can't imagine a better birthday than before the fire with a bottle of someting...Have a happy! [NT] - Joe - 5:21am on 01/04/07
- Happy birthday Ang! Cheers to you! [NT] - Sandy_in_Philly - 9:57pm on 01/04/07
- HAPPY BIRTHDAY, ANG! [NT] [IMAGE] - Meryl - 10:10pm on 01/03/07
- Thanks! I'm pretty sure there is a chocolate cake with mousse filling under that icing. [NT] - AngAk - 11:24pm on 01/03/07
- Of course! I was actually looking for a more obvious chocolatey one, but couldn't find [IMAGE] - Meryl - 11:35pm on 01/03/07
- happy birthday to ang [NT] - rvb - 11:30pm on 01/03/07
- Hippo Birdie 2 Ewe. [NT] - MarilynFL - 1:08am on 01/04/07
- Ang, I hope you have a great birthday!!!!! [NT] - Lin_in_Seattle - 2:06am on 01/04/07
- Happy Belated Birthday, Ang! [NT] - LisainLA - 9:19pm on 01/04/07
- Mouse I am - Earnie - 8:55pm on 01/03/07
- What to do, What to do, What to do--I have all these little pieces of cheese from our appys. A bit.. - charlie - 9:31pm on 01/03/07
- Oh, Poor Baby, Wish I could help, really.You can freeze cheesecake in portion sizes??Enjoy it [NT] - Nan - 9:49pm on 01/03/07
- No way, Chucky, don't freeze that cheesecake, send it to California!!! LOL. ;o) And maybe - Pat-NoCal - 3:31am on 01/04/07
- YEAH! Send it to California :) [NT] - cheezz - 4:45am on 01/04/07
- This Baked Four-Cheese Pasta Casserole would take care of the Fontina and Gorgonzola. Check out the [LINK] - Pat-NoCal - 6:28pm on 01/04/07
- How about this Potato Parsnip Gratin for the Emmenthaler. [NT] [LINK] - Pat-NoCal - 6:38pm on 01/04/07
- Rec: Fromage Fort, the perfect use for your bits and pieces. I volunteer to come eat it... [LINK] - Curious1 - 10:05pm on 01/03/07
- Was thinking the same thing! [NT] - Meryl - 10:11pm on 01/03/07
- this is the second time today that St Andre cheese was mentioned. New to me. [NT] - AngAk - 11:27pm on 01/03/07
- It's excellent! [NT] - Meryl - 11:36pm on 01/03/07
- It's a triple-cream, REALLY high fat content cheese, Ang- very delicious. - CathyZ from Kauai - 5:43pm on 01/04/07
- You...threw...out...CHEESE? Now that's self control! [NT] - Curious1 - 7:06pm on 01/04/07
- Trust me I tried trimming off all the UGLY and it was still pretty scary, been there a while!! [NT] - Nan - 7:18pm on 01/04/07
- Nan, next time try washing the mold off- I sometimes even scrub a bit with a - CathyZ from Kauai - 7:46pm on 01/04/07
- Thank you all for trying to help--burp [NT] - charlie - 1:05am on 01/04/07
- I'm late in posting but here is another idea, Charlie - CathyZ from Kauai - 5:47pm on 01/04/07
- That's great Cathy! One of those, Duh, I shoulda thought of that. Just tossed a bunch of tiny bits. [NT] - Nan - 6:02pm on 01/04/07
- Lol, Nan, my response to this is must above, see how agitated I was at the thought of tossing it? [NT] - Curious1 - 7:07pm on 01/04/07
- This is a great idea----I wonder how frozen cheese tastes at midnight? [NT] - charlie - 2:54am on 01/05/07
- er, uh, I know because I used to sneak in the freezer and grab some....delicious. [NT] - CathyZ from Kauai - 3:08am on 01/05/07
- Is this appropriate for Tips? Great idea. [NT] - Marg CDN - 3:11am on 01/05/07