Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.
Library volunteer appreciation luncheon 2012
Joined: Dec 12, 2005
Posted to Thread #21906 at 5:58 pm on Apr 7, 2012
Well, in retrospect (and we all know what <i>that</i> means when <i>that</i> word gets pull out of the vocabulary bucket) all I can say is pure buttercream icing should not be used on a triple-layer cake when the temperature is over 70 degrees.
As in...88 degrees?
Also, if one has a <i>vision</i> of a finished design combined with an unfortunate OCD personality quirk regarding things lining up straight, then one should <b>NOT</b> accept the kind offer of help and <b>NOT</b> turn over the task of setting out 60 cupcakes on the display stand.
Also, one must learn not to reach across the kind volunteer who is...who is...indiscriminately, with absolutely no regard for order and design shoving name tags willy-nilly, and...<i>[calm down, calm down]</i> attempt to straighten them.
Lastly, one must learn to bite back an internal scream! as yet another volunteer jams open the outside door, letting the cold air-conditioning air OUT of the room and letting the humidity-ladden HOT air rush into the void (ie: the molecules surrounding my triple-layer 16-POUND buttercream cake.)
Yep...double batch of Silver Palate carrot cake with cream cheese filling and lemon buttercream icing with three pounds of chocolate "Thank You" squares around the edges. Oh ya, those hand-molded chocolate squares? Yet another "good design concept, bad for cutting the cake" ideas.
<a href="http://s56.photobucket.com/albums/g166/Finer_Kitchens/Marilyn%20Library/?action=view&current=031.jpg" target="_blank"><img src="http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g166/Finer_Kitchens/Marilyn%20Library/031.jpg" border="0" alt="Photobucket"></a>
Now here's a fluke: the library staff decorated the hall and used a small gold-filled pirate trunk as their main theme. Then they hung gold beaded necklaces on each chair. Without ever speaking to them, I used almost the exact same design props for my cake.
Didn't get to play the anagram game as the library staff had each volunteer come up front to take photos.
Click on the link for a slideshow. I start out with a cheap 'n dirty way of cooling down the icing bowl after adding the boiling sugar so I can add the butter. I say "cheap" but...<i>in retrospect</i> I'm using several therapy ice wraps and ace bandages left over from my shoulder surgery and MONTHS of physical therapy. Ya, that little cool-down method probably cost somewhere in the neighborhood of $4,000. Then the cupcake stand and name tags. Then the cupcakes which I cored and added Julia's Pastry Cream to the middle. Icing is my mom's Torte icing with Sandi in Hawaii's great suggestion to use butter instead of Crisco.
Jesus saves. Buddha recycles.
Other messages in this thread:
- 21906. Library volunteer appreciation luncheon 2012 [LINK] - MarilynFL - 5:58pm on 04/07/12 (21)
- This is fantastic! - MariaDNoCA - 6:37pm on 04/07/12
- OCD gets the job done beautifully! I am in awe. [NT] - desertcook - 6:58pm on 04/07/12
- I deal with HELPFUL little old ladies all the time....my tongue still hurts from biting it [NT] - cheezz - 8:19pm on 04/07/12
- It looks wonderful though - and yummy!! What do you core the cupcakes with? [NT] - cheezz - 8:21pm on 04/07/12
- Apple corer. Unfortunately, this didn't end up tasting like an earlier cake version [NT] - MarilynFL - 4:02pm on 04/08/12
- Holy Moly, this is incredible! I'm sure everyone "gasped" when they saw your presentation. Kudos!!! [NT] - Marianne - 2:19am on 04/08/12
- Bravo! What a treat for those treasured volunteers! [NT] - Traca - 3:01am on 04/08/12
- Wonderful! [NT] - PatBastrop - 4:00am on 04/08/12
- Absolutely breathtaking. [NT] - elaine - 8:03am on 04/08/12
- It's beautiful! The cake looks awesome and I love the decoration (I'm a jewellery junkie ;-) [NT] - EvaN - 8:03am on 04/08/12
- Fabulous Job, Marilyn! Love every bit of it:) [NT] - deb-in-MI - 11:39am on 04/08/12
- Amazing job! You should be very proud (and equally exhausted! ) ;-) [NT] - SallyBR - 1:27pm on 04/08/12
- Wonderful presentation, Marilyn-you must have wowed them. [NT] - CathyZ from Kauai - 4:06pm on 04/08/12
- As always, M, you did good!!! [NT] - Richard in Cincy - 2:14am on 04/09/12
- clap clap clap [NT] - AngAk1 - 5:51pm on 04/09/12
- I want a cupcake. for breakfast. right now please. [NT] - AngAk1 - 5:51pm on 04/09/12
- I'll see about getting that cupcake vending machine up there STAT. [NT] - MarilynFL - 12:27am on 04/10/12
- Lovely! I'm sure they felt very appreciated! [NT] - ErininNY - 7:17pm on 04/09/12
- Another beautiful masterpiece and very well done!! [NT] - FloriSandy - 1:55am on 04/10/12
- Thanks, everyone. I'm a little disappointed in the display and the final taste of the - MarilynFL - 2:09pm on 04/11/12
- Just Beautiful! Over 4,500 hours of volunteer time! That is impressive! [NT] - barb_b - 5:38am on 04/16/12