Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.
|CathyZ from Kauai||
Yes, Deb- here it is
Joined: Dec 10, 2005
Posted to Thread #3663 at 6:07 pm on Sep 24, 2006
This is a simple and very tasty caramel recipe. If you take the candy to a "firm ball" stage (around 248 degrees) you could actually cut the caramel into pieces to wrap individually- a la Kraft caramels. If you keep it at a "soft ball" stage, it works just great in bar cookies.
This recipe is so T&T it must be in the Guinness Book of World Records- I first used it in 1955:
2 c sugar
1/2 c butter
3/4 c white corn syrup (I use Karo)
2 c whipping cream
Do NOT scrape the sides of the pan as you work.
In a heavy (about 3 qt) saucepan bring sugar, butter corn syrup and 1 c of the cream to a rolling boil. SLOWLY add the second c of cream, being careful that the boiling does not stop. Stir constantly. As the temperature of the mixture increases, reduce the heat. Test using the ice water in a cup method. When it is at the soft ball stage (234-240 degrees), immediately pour candy into a buttered 8" pan or on top of your bar cookie layer.
Other messages in this thread:
- 3663. I need help. I have the worst time trying to make candy... - clofthwld - 8:45pm on 09/23/06 (16)
- clofthwld, it may be as simple as this..... - CathyZ from Kauai - 9:28pm on 09/23/06
- Cathy, I know I'm touching the bottom of the pan because they suggest a - clofthwld - 2:09am on 09/24/06
- Here's what I would do - CathyZ from Kauai - 5:24pm on 09/24/06
- Great info. That helps a lot. [NT] - clofthwld - 11:26pm on 09/24/06
- clofthwld, try this recipe for fudge later on, will you? - CathyZ from Kauai - 5:30pm on 09/24/06
- Thanks for taking the time to do that for me. I'll try it this week. I want - clofthwld - 10:25pm on 09/24/06
- Cathy...do you have a good recipe for caramel that I can use in a bar cookie.... - deb-in-MI - 2:23pm on 09/24/06
- Yes, Deb- here it is - CathyZ from Kauai - 6:07pm on 09/24/06
- Thank you, Cathy..this is perfect!! [NT] - deb-in-MI - 7:39pm on 09/24/06
- I don't know if anyone else has this problem, but when I make toffee... - Michael in Phoenix - 12:30am on 09/24/06
- Michael, can you be more specifice re pan etc. Sorry, but I need to be guided - clofthwld - 2:17am on 09/24/06
- I had on my shelf a 2 1/2 quart pressure cooker that I had never used... - Michael in Phoenix - 5:43am on 09/24/06
- I have no dedicated pan- haven't heard the expert's claim before but I do know this - CathyZ from Kauai - 5:42pm on 09/24/06
- I've never had any of these problems making toffee.... - GayleMO - 11:57am on 09/24/06
- I think Cathy's right about the thermometer touching the bottom of the pan; it's likely that - Joe - 6:17pm on 09/24/06
- Thanks for your help, Joe. [NT] - clofthwld - 10:35pm on 09/24/06