Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.
I bought one 3 years ago and with the height limitations imposed by my cabinets, the choices
Joined: Oct 13, 2010
Posted to Thread #21296 at 8:03 pm on Dec 27, 2011
were also limited. I had fears of KA and went about finding out who really made all the branded models. I ended up with a Kenmore Elite. Elite important. I loved it.
I had done all the preliminary consumer research but sometimes, I think you can just get a lemon, no matter who makes it.
The glass shelves were substantial, the through-the-door ice, crushed ice and water always worked, the lighting was intelligently positioned, the drawers were well-built and fit into spaces that were designed for them rather than a hit-and-miss construction. The doors included well-designed movable shelves that allowed for me to buy an additional one. It was a great idea. The access that these deep shelves on doors allow was important for me. I had 3 pullout shelves, also well-constructed but I rarely pulled them out. The inside was so strongly built that it could easily allow split shelves without compromising stability.
Everything disassembled easily and intelligently without requiring risky contorting. The glass was thick and printed, the brackets were all metal, the drawers were metal.
And of course, there is that commonly-known fact that Sears is one of the best places to buy appliances.
It had the other bells and whistles, such as quick freeze and auto sensing of new groceries.
I miss that frig and would love to get it back.
I do not remember now, what company actually made it but did I mention that I really miss it?
Here I have a piece of Jennair crap. Junky plastic where Kenmore Elite used metal, thin plain glass that fits poorly into brackets making a mess to clean. Cheap door shelves that make me fear that they'll crumble if I look at them the wrong way. And this idiotic pullout bottom freezer drawer that I really hate. I can't find anything in it, have to unload it every time I want to find something I know is in there, no crushed ice, have to open the frig to get at the water instead of through the door.
I would definitely choose a side-by-side again as the freezer area is so much easier to manage. One would say that it is not as economical on power but with the time that is lost searching for food in the bottom drawer, I think it would be a saw-off.
If this were not a rental that I'm living in, I'd get that frig again.
I miss that frig (fridge). Good luck.
Other messages in this thread:
- 21296. What fridge do you recommend? - Lana in FL - 3:49pm on 12/27/11 (15)
- My FIL has a Kitchen Aid and it is the worst fridge I've ever seen! I'm not surprised yours... - Michael in Phoenix - 4:58pm on 12/27/11
- My only issue with Sears now is their delivery charge, which is substantial - Melissa Dallas - 9:26pm on 12/27/11
- Also, Sears will be closing many stores. Careful with the warranties. [NT] - Michael in Sarasota - 8:44pm on 12/28/11
- my advice [LINK] - cyalexa - 6:26pm on 12/27/11
- I bought one 3 years ago and with the height limitations imposed by my cabinets, the choices - Marg CDN2 - 8:03pm on 12/27/11
- I've had 2 Amanas and now have a Whirlpool (which makes parts for Kenmore), and they've all been [LINK] - Meryl - 10:00pm on 12/27/11
- Thanks very much for all the advice. - Lana in FL - 10:21pm on 12/27/11
- Haven't been happy since - Earnie - 10:47pm on 12/27/11
- Absolutely LOVE my SubZeros! (rave below) - CathyZ from Kauai - 4:06am on 12/28/11
- No brand recommendation, but whichever you choose, be sure it has a lock for the ice/water dispenser - desertcook - 2:32pm on 12/28/11
- Oh, that's so funny! (for me, anyway) - Lana in FL - 4:29pm on 12/29/11
- Get a magnetic sheet and stick over the opening (office supply, Michaels, Walmart, Hobby Lobby) [LINK] - cheezz - 9:45pm on 12/29/11
- My SIL has been through 5 refrigerators in 2 years, and swears by the Electrolux. I have to say - MoNJ - 3:19pm on 12/28/11
- Oh well, we looked, and the only one that we liked - Lana in FL - 4:26pm on 12/29/11
- I have a 40 year old Hot Point that's still going strong! - Pam - 9:30pm on 01/09/12