Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.
I tried this last night with a few extra tweaks. Delicious, but used the wrong pan: a GF-bread pan!
Joined: Dec 12, 2005
Posted to Thread #24306 at 11:45 am on May 14, 2013
Got home from work, set 2 lemons to simmer for an hour & let them cool. Then I read the directions.
Damn. It was supposed to be 3 lemons. Deseeded the boiled ones and dropped everything into the Vitamix. Pared off the skin of another fresh lemon and squeezed its juice into the Vitamix. Added 1/4 C of the sugar and buzzed until utterly smooth. Then I added the six egg yolks and another 1/4 C of the sugar and buzzed until I had something that tasted awfully close to lemon curd.
I used 2 1/4 C of ground almond meal, 1.5 TBL of baking powder (whisked those two together well and added the eggyolk cream. Blended by hand), then beat the 6 egg whites until frothy. Added 1/2 tsp cream of tartar. Then slowly added the remaining 1/2 C of sugar until shiny with stiff peaks. Whisked 1/3 of this into the almond/yolk mixture and folded in the remaining stiff whites. Ended up with a HUGE bowl of frothiness.
Piled it all the way to the top of a GF-bread pan from King Arthur lined with parchment. This is what we call a "BAD IDEA" in the "we don't know crap" baking business. The raison d'Ítre of a skinnier & taller GF-pan is to give the rising GF bread support so that it can set. Which I totally nullified by using tall pieces of parchment that fell inward under the weight of the batter.
The batter rose another inch and then started to collapse. Final result was a cooked perimeter and a damp middle. If I were going for a delicate and brightly-flavored 4" high lemon trencher, I'd have achieved my goal.
But the taste? Wow. It was really, really good. I need to refine this somehow, but I'm sticking with the 2-boiled + 1 fresh lemon goof-up for the flavor punch it delivered.
Jesus saves. Buddha recycles.
Other messages in this thread:
- 24306. I made the flourless gluten-free lemon pound cake at 24292 today - CathyZ from Kauai - 12:00am on 05/13/13 (23)
- Yes, fragile is a good description of a lot of GF items. That gluten is missing - cheezz - 1:36am on 05/13/13
- It would crumble if you tried to slice and toast but you could manage by... - CathyZ from Kauai - 2:45am on 05/13/13
- Thanks! I may give this one a try :) [NT] - cheezz - 4:31am on 05/13/13
- Cathy - what size pan did you use? [NT] - cheezz - 4:33am on 05/13/13
- And is ground almonds the same as almond meal, or almond flour? [NT] - cheezz - 4:35am on 05/13/13
- I used a loaf pan- it completely filled it but did not flow over the edges. - CathyZ from Kauai - 4:32pm on 05/13/13
- Thanks! [NT] - cheezz - 6:02pm on 05/13/13
- One more question - you pur [NT] - cheezz - 8:02pm on 05/13/13
- Yes. Whole lemons cooked in water until soft and don't pierce at all - CathyZ from Kauai - 7:35am on 05/14/13
- I had a cake with boiled oranges once. Very good. [NT] - Traca - 12:28am on 05/15/13
- In playing around with gluten-free baking, I tried Keller's "Cup4Cup". Easy to use, not bad at all. [NT] [LINK] - Steve2 in LA - 11:03pm on 05/13/13
- I tried this last night with a few extra tweaks. Delicious, but used the wrong pan: a GF-bread pan! - MarilynFL - 11:45am on 05/14/13
- Marilyn, it has great lemon "punch" with the three boiled lemons - CathyZ from Kauai - 4:12pm on 05/14/13
- Cathy, I'd been reading Elana's GF website and she uses blanched almond meal. [LINK] - MarilynFL - 4:38pm on 05/14/13
- So now I have a 5 lb bag of this stuff to use up because this is what Elana recommended. [LINK] - MarilynFL - 4:38pm on 05/14/13
- I made Elana's almond muffins and they Did. Not. Collapse! However, they [LINK] - MarilynFL - 4:40pm on 05/14/13
- These cottage cheese & ham breakfast muffins are great - Melissa Dallas - 6:46pm on 05/14/13
- interesting about Bob's Red Mill almond flour - which is, of course, what I have 2 lb of :-/ [NT] - cheezz - 8:37pm on 05/14/13
- cheezz, I've used Bob's successfully for the Big Bertha flourless cake. Fabulous. [LINK] - MarilynFL - 12:15am on 05/15/13
- LOVE the name ... I've looked at this several times, then blanch when I get to calories :) [NT] - cheezz - 4:06am on 05/15/13
- Skip the whole cake & icing frou-for-all....just bake 1/2 of the cake batter and enjoy. [NT] - MarilynFL - 5:30pm on 05/15/13
- I'm a ganache girl...I'd skip the cake and eat the ganache with a spoon - cheezz - 6:35pm on 05/15/13
- Ya, that's typically me too. But there is something gentle about this cake. Delicately flavored. [NT] - MarilynFL - 2:13pm on 05/16/13