Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.
a bust of a recipe, but a tasty component to use elsewhere? Lemon Zinger Bars
Joined: Dec 12, 2005
Posted to Thread #31139 at 3:52 pm on Oct 15, 2019
From Low-So Good by Jessica Goldman Foung.
I had hoped this would be a low-fat, low sodium breakfast bar for me, but the end result was too...pasty-tasting? Na, that's not it. I like raw oats in muesli, so I thought a baked version would also work.
However, the dried fruit blend smelled and tasted amazing and now I want to use THAT in something else. I just can't think what.
I'll post the recipe next, but the fruit blend I used was this, pureed in food processor:
1/2 C chopped dates
1/2 C candied ginger
1/4 C dried apricots
2 TBL dried cherries
1 large lemon, zest and juice
3/4 C warm water (this can easily be reduced).
While this baked, I was in lemon-ginger scented heaven, but the outcome was, sadly, blah. It's possible my nose raised expectations beyond the expectation limit, but then I realized I don't HAVE to have THIS mixed up with THAT.
So how else can I use it? My first thought was as a rugelach filling (using a lot less water to thin), but that would mean eating cookies for breakfast. Admittedly I've done that a LOT, but I'd like something a bit healthier, only not so "healthy" as mixing it with nothing other than old-fashion oats.
Jesus saves. Buddha recycles.
Other messages in this thread:
- 31139. a bust of a recipe, but a tasty component to use elsewhere? Lemon Zinger Bars - MarilynFL - 3:52pm on 10/15/19 (6)
- Lemon Zinger Bars from Low-So Good - MarilynFL - 3:56pm on 10/15/19
- As filling in the classic Dromedary Date bars recipe below (or thumbprint cookies) - Melissa Dallas - 9:56pm on 10/15/19
- REC: Gobble Up Granola Snacks [LINK] - colleenmomof2 - 12:48pm on 10/16/19
- REC: Meryl's Cranberry Swirl Coffee Cake [LINK] - colleenmomof2 - 12:56pm on 10/16/19
- REC: Our favorite breakfast cookie is Scientifically Sweet Soft-Baked Breakfast Nuggets [LINK] - colleenmomof2 - 1:04pm on 10/16/19
- These are all good ideas. Thanks! [NT] - MarilynFL - 11:32pm on 10/16/19