Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.
REC: Gobble Up Granola Snacks
Joined: Jun 16, 2006
Posted to Thread #31139 at 12:48 pm on Oct 16, 2019
I was thinking that you might be able to substitute your lemon fruit blend for the "filling" in these - brown sugar, light corn syrup/honey, peanut butter. The original recipe uses rice cereal but our sons loved these made with Cheerios. I have subbed banana and apple butter for the peanut butter, reducing the corn syrup amount to keep the "proper" texture. Colleen
Gobble Up Granola Snacks
2 1/2 cups crispy rice cereal (I used Trader Joe's Cheerios – next time only 2 or 2 1/4 cups with ½ cup coconut)
2 cups quick-cooking oats (or original whirled in food processor)
1/2 cup raisins (I used 2/3 cup chopped Craisins but will use mixed dried of apricots, dates, figs, cherries along with nuts in the future)
1/2 cup packed brown sugar (I used 2/3 cup)
1/2 cup light corn syrup (I used 1/3 cup Karo and 1/3 cup honey)
1/2 cup crunchy peanut butter (I used 2/3 cup)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
(I added 1 tsp sea salt, 1/4 tsp cinnamon - will up to 1/2 next time and 2 Tbs flax seeds)
1. In a large bowl, stir together the rice cereal, raisins and oats (salt, cinnamon, flax seeds, nuts/fruit). Set aside. Grease a 9x13 inch baking dish with cooking spray.
2. Combine the brown sugar and corn syrup in a small saucepan over medium heat. Heat just until boiling, (I let it boil for 30 seconds to combine) then remove from heat and stir in peanut butter and vanilla until smooth. Pour over the cereal and oat mixture, and mix VERY well or mixture will not hold together in bars.
3. Press into the prepared pan using the back of a large spoon or put onto silpat/greased counter and shape into rectangle. Allow to cool, then cut into squares.
Original recipe from AllRecipes has TONS of comments
Link: Gobble Up Granola Snacks
Other messages in this thread:
- 31139. a bust of a recipe, but a tasty component to use elsewhere? Lemon Zinger Bars - MarilynFL - 3:52pm on 10/15/19 (6)
- Lemon Zinger Bars from Low-So Good - MarilynFL - 3:56pm on 10/15/19
- As filling in the classic Dromedary Date bars recipe below (or thumbprint cookies) - Melissa Dallas - 9:56pm on 10/15/19
- REC: Gobble Up Granola Snacks [LINK] - colleenmomof2 - 12:48pm on 10/16/19
- REC: Meryl's Cranberry Swirl Coffee Cake [LINK] - colleenmomof2 - 12:56pm on 10/16/19
- REC: Our favorite breakfast cookie is Scientifically Sweet Soft-Baked Breakfast Nuggets [LINK] - colleenmomof2 - 1:04pm on 10/16/19
- These are all good ideas. Thanks! [NT] - MarilynFL - 11:32pm on 10/16/19