Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.
REC: Meryl's Cranberry Swirl Coffee Cake
Joined: Jun 16, 2006
Posted to Thread #31139 at 12:56 pm on Oct 16, 2019
Marilyn - this is how I would use your lemon filling! Sub vanilla and a splash of lemon extract in the cake for the almond extract. When I make this cake, I follow Meryl's recommendation to use fat free yogurt for a lower fat version but I use slightly more yogurt (sour cream) and slightly less butter. Colleen
CRANBERRY SWIRL COFFEECAKE (Meryl's comments in parentheses, I think)
1/2 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
1 cup white sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup sour cream (I use nonfat plain yogurt)
1 teaspoon almond extract
1 cup of fresh cranberry sauce (recommended) - to make the sauce, follow the directions on any package of fresh cranberries), OR one 8-ounce can of whole cranberry sauce (I use fresh)
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). (*Decrease the temperature by 25 degrees if using dark pan.). Grease and flour one 9 or 10 inch tube pan.
2. Cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the eggs just until well blended.
3. Combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. With mixer running, (lower the mixer speed), add the flour mixture alternately with the sour cream or yogurt to the butter mixture until just blended. Do not overmix! Stir in the almond extract and mix only until just combined. Pour 1/3 of the batter into the prepared pan. Swirl 1/2 of the cranberry sauce into the batter. Repeat, ending with the batter on top.
4. Bake about 55 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
5. Let cool in pan on wire rack about 10 minutes. Cut around edge of the cake to loosen, then turn out and let cool completely on wire rack.
Makes 1 - 9 or 10 inch tube pan (12 servings).
Adapted from Allrecipes
Link: Meryl's Cranberry Swirl Coffee Cake
Other messages in this thread:
- 31139. a bust of a recipe, but a tasty component to use elsewhere? Lemon Zinger Bars - MarilynFL - 3:52pm on 10/15/19 (6)
- Lemon Zinger Bars from Low-So Good - MarilynFL - 3:56pm on 10/15/19
- As filling in the classic Dromedary Date bars recipe below (or thumbprint cookies) - Melissa Dallas - 9:56pm on 10/15/19
- REC: Gobble Up Granola Snacks [LINK] - colleenmomof2 - 12:48pm on 10/16/19
- REC: Meryl's Cranberry Swirl Coffee Cake [LINK] - colleenmomof2 - 12:56pm on 10/16/19
- REC: Our favorite breakfast cookie is Scientifically Sweet Soft-Baked Breakfast Nuggets [LINK] - colleenmomof2 - 1:04pm on 10/16/19
- These are all good ideas. Thanks! [NT] - MarilynFL - 11:32pm on 10/16/19