Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.
REC: Lower fat Cranberry Swirl Coffee Cake
Joined: Jun 16, 2006
Posted to Thread #31138 at 1:18 pm on Oct 16, 2019
from Meryl is similar to Elaine's but with only 1 stick of butter and Meryl substitutes fat free yogurt for the sour cream. When I make this cake, I use slightly more fat free yogurt (sour cream) and slightly less butter. I have also used Greek yogurt but thin with a bit of milk to the consistency of regular yogurt. Colleen
CRANBERRY SWIRL COFFEECAKE (Meryl's comments in parentheses)
1/2 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
1 cup white sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup sour cream (I use nonfat plain yogurt)
1 teaspoon almond extract
1 cup of fresh cranberry sauce (recommended) - to make the sauce, follow the directions on any package of fresh cranberries), OR one 8-ounce can of whole cranberry sauce (I use fresh)
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). (*Decrease the temperature by 25 degrees if using dark pan.). Grease and flour one 9 or 10 inch tube pan.
2. Cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the eggs just until well blended.
3. Combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. With mixer running, (lower the mixer speed), add the flour mixture alternately with the sour cream or yogurt to the butter mixture until just blended. Do not overmix! Stir in the almond extract and mix only until just combined. Pour 1/3 of the batter into the prepared pan. Swirl 1/2 of the cranberry sauce into the batter. Repeat, ending with the batter on top.
4. Bake about 55 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
5. Let cool in pan on wire rack about 10 minutes. Cut around edge of the cake to loosen, then turn out and let cool completely on wire rack.
Makes 1 - 9 or 10 inch tube pan (12 servings).
Adapted from Allrecipes https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/13548/cranberry-swirl-coffee-cake/?internalSource=hub%20recipe&referringContentType=Search
Link: Meryl's Cranberry Swirl Coffee Cake
Other messages in this thread:
- 31138. Favorite Moist Coffee Cake Recipe? - deb-in-MI - 10:17pm on 10/14/19 (17)
- Cafe Beaujolais used to be my favorite, but it's a bit too sweet for me now. - MarilynFL - 11:49pm on 10/14/19
- Cyn asked this same question back in 2006! [NT] [LINK] - MarilynFL - 11:50pm on 10/14/19
- Thank you for the link! [NT] - deb-in-MI - 11:15am on 10/15/19
- That cake is fine made in a 9X13 pan with the streusel sprinkled on top. A friend always - Charley - 10:35am on 10/15/19
- REC: Buttermilk Cinnamon Crumb Cake - judy-mass - 11:11am on 10/15/19
- My mom always made this one -- Sour Cream Coffee Cake - wigs - 2:22pm on 10/15/19
- 1 of my very favorite coffeecakes is frm Sandi in Hawaii--Blueberry and Pecan Sour Cream Coffee Cake - wigs - 2:34pm on 10/15/19
- This has been my Go To recipe for years. REC: My Favorite Coffee Cake - Michael in Phoenix - 3:15pm on 10/15/19
- My all time favorite recipe....cut from a magazine years ago....Sour Cream Coffee Cake - GayR - 4:06pm on 10/15/19
- Thank you sooooo much! [NT] - deb-in-MI - 4:15pm on 10/15/19
- Made this to freeze REC:Sherry Yard's Peach Coffee Cake [LINK] [IMAGE] - colleenmomof2 - 12:41pm on 11/18/19
- Sour Cream Coffee Cake Heaven from Baked [LINK] - Ann - 10:48pm on 10/15/19
- Whoa, this looks wonderful, will be making it soon. Thanks, Ann. [NT] - Pat-NoCal - 5:35pm on 10/19/19
- Just thought of a CCake I posted in 2015 that's very good.I remember MarilynFL made & liked this,too - wigs - 2:49pm on 10/16/19
- Oh yes. I did love this. It's a very forgiving cake too. I made all sorts of adjustments. [NT] [LINK] - MarilynFL - 9:47pm on 10/16/19
- I followed the link back to your older post. I surely can identify with your frozen cranberry... - RuthAB - 8:28pm on 10/17/19